Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2015 21:53:44 +0000
From:      "Wolff, Nicholas (Nick)" <nwolff@oar.net>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: whois utility

On 2/4/15, 4:42 PM, "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net> wrote:

>On 02/04/15 15:27, John Ratliff wrote:
>> I have a FreeBSD 9.2 server and I=B9m trying to use whois on an IP
>>address, but it tells me my query terms are ambiguous, gives me two
>>results, but gives me no details on the results. How can I get the
>>detail for these response?
>>
>> Ex:
>>
>> $ whois 68.68.90.0
>>
>> #
>> # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
>> # available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
>> #
>> # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
>> # http://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml
>> #
>>

>> #
>> # Query terms are ambiguous.  The query is assumed to be:
>> #     "n 68.68.90.0"
>> #
>> # Use "?" to get help.
>> #
>>
>> #
>> # The following results may also be obtained via:
>> #=20
>>http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=3D68.68.90.0?showDetails=3Dtrue&showARI=
N=3Dfa
>>lse&ext=3Dnetref2
>> #
>>
>> Smithville Digital, LLC SDL-BLK-4 (NET-68-68-80-0-1) 68.68.80.0 -
>>68.68.95.255
>> BG Telecom Holdings, LLC SDL-BGTEL-BLK-1 (NET-68-68-90-0-1) 68.68.90.0
>>- 68.68.91.255
>>

>> #
>> # ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
>> # available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
>> #
>> # If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
>> # http://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml
>> #
>>
>> I want the information contained within the BG Telecom Holdings result.
>>How can I get whois to display this? On my Linux servers, whois shows
>>the full results for both entries, so I can at least scroll through.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John Ratliff
>> Systems Engineer
>> Office:  (812) 935-2491
>> john.ratliff@smithville.com  |  smithville.com

>I'm on 9.3Rp5 & I've been getting those messages the whole time, I think
>they are benign .... FWIW, I get the same output on my box:
>
>[root@kabini1, /etc, 3:40:50pm] 483 % whois 68.68.90.0
>
>#
># ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
># available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
>#
># If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
># http://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml
>#
>

>#
># Query terms are ambiguous.  The query is assumed to be:
>#     "n 68.68.90.0"
>#
># Use "?" to get help.
>#
>
>#
># The following results may also be obtained via:
>#=20
>http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=3D68.68.90.0?showDetails=3Dtrue&showARIN=
=3Dfal
>se&ext=3Dnetref2
>#
>
>Smithville Digital, LLC SDL-BLK-4 (NET-68-68-80-0-1) 68.68.80.0 -
>68.68.95.255
>BG Telecom Holdings, LLC SDL-BGTEL-BLK-1 (NET-68-68-90-0-1) 68.68.90.0 -
>68.68.91.255
>

>#
># ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
># available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
>#
># If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
># http://www.arin.net/public/whoisinaccuracy/index.xhtml
>#
>
>[root@kabini1, /etc, 3:40:57pm] 484 %
>

>--=20
>
>	William A. Mahaffey III

If you add a plus in front of the query it will expand the answers. This
maybe an ARIN only thing not sure.

$ whois "+ 68.68.90.0"

You can lookup ARINs help by doing with the -a telling whois to query
ARINs server.

$ whois -a "?"

A final option is passing the NET to ARIN so it knows what object to bring
up. I found this by looking at the query where you got back two
possibilities.

$ whois -a NET-68-68-90-0-1

There probably is a simpler way to get back one specific cidr record but I
couldn=B9t get it to work.

=8BNick Wolff