Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2017 13:58:03 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Cc:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Subject: Thunderbird causing system crash, need guidance

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:56:16 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 12/10/17 19:02, Adam Vande More wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
> <snip>
> >> From fstab:
> >>  /dev/ufs/hd250G1root  /     ufs     rw,noatime      1       1
> >>  /dev/ufs/hd250G1var   /var  ufs     rw,noatime      2       2
> >>  /dev/ufs/hd250G1usr   /usr  ufs     rw,noatime      7       3
> >>  tmpfs                 /tmp  tmpfs   rw,mode=01777   0       0
> >>  md99                  none  swap    sw,file=/usr/swap/swap,late     0       0
> >>  /var is 16G
> >>
> >> It seems like it may be corrupted disk data, but I'm wondering if
> >> there's a good way to diagnose that.
> >
> > fsck(8)
>
> duh, thanks.
> That did solve the problem.
>
> However, I'm confused.
> Upon reboot, the system checks to see if file systems were properly
> dismounted and is supposed to do an fsck.  Since those don't show up
> in messages, I can't verify this, but I'm pretty certain it must have
> thought it was clean, which it wasn't.  (One reason I'm pretty certain
> is the time involved when run manually as you suggested).

This is the primary reason for setting

	background_fsck="NO"

in /etc/rc.conf - if you can afford a little downtime.
The background fsck doesn't have all the repair capabilities
a forced foreground check has, to it _might_ leave the file
system in an inconsistent state, and the system runs with
that unclean partition.

> The file system in question was mounted below "/".
> Does the system only auto-check file systems mounted at "/"?

Yes, / is the first file system it checks. The two last
fields in /etc/fstab control what fsck will check, and
/etc/rc.conf allows additional flags for those automatic
checks.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany