Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:46:47 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   portmaster and portmanager disagree

Tried updating all my ports - all 439 of them - sing ``portmanager -u''.
Numerous failures, conflicts etc. as usual. Got most of them sorted but
``portmanager -s'' still reports a load as MISSING, but they aren't; the
directories are in /var/db/pkg and the apps work.

portmanager(1) builds and installs them (successfully), then immediately
rebuilds and installs. It does this three times the gives up saying the
builds are looping.

Tried portmaster(1) instead using the style ``portmaster -p
print/acroread''. Even though they are installed, it rebuilt and
installed them (only once, so better than portmanager).

However, ``portmanager -s'' *still* reports them as missing - argghh!!

Is something screwed in my ports tree or /var/db/pkg?

I'm getting so fed up of upgrading ports being a marathon exercise
everytime I do it that I'm beginning to wonder if it's time to uninstall
*every* port on my system, zap /usr/ports, and start again from scratch,
but that's the Windows way, not the Unix way so I've so far resisted
doing it.

Any help in getting my system sorted out would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark