Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 07:01:49 +0000
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        ceo@bbbiiizzz.com (R J Huntington), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reconfig info

Michael Smith wrote in message ID
<199603120542.QAA26417@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>:
> R J Huntington stands accused of saying:
> >
> > We have FreeBSD installed on our server and need to increase swap
> > space. The question is: Do we have to reinstall the OS from scratch?

> No.  See the 'vnconfig' manpage and the handbook for instructions on
> creating a swapfile.

There is a performance penalty for doing this tho. If performance is
critical on your server, creating or enlarging a ``proper'' raw swap
parition would be preferable.

If you want to enlarge it, it is probably possible to just alter the
size of the swap parition and correspondingly shrink the size of the
parition following it on the drive ... the following partition will
need to be re-newfs'd though.

Gary