Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:35:16 -0900
From:      Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
To:        Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Cc:        "deeptech71@gmail.com" <deeptech71@gmail.com>, "freebsd-chat@freebsd.org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, gjb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Project is enabling Google Analytics on www.freebsd.org

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 03:36:17PM +0100, deeptech71@gmail.com wrote:
>> Glen Barber wrote:
>> > The FreeBSD Project is enabling Google Analytics on www.freebsd.org.
>>
>> Congratulations, by choosing probably the easiest-to-use but
>> most-threatening-to-users tracking system, you have successfully
>> managed to display amateurism on part of the web site's staff.

> There are probably millions of websites that use GA.
> Have you already complained to the their operators about using GA? If
> not, please do so.

Whoa.  While the rhetoric has been a little heated, I think that
deeptech71's point is that it is precisely the ubiquitousness of GA
that makes it more dangerous.  This response adds to the heat but does
not respond to his technical points.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, and GA's reports are excellent, but if
there is some way for the FreeBSD project to get 80% of the
functionality without sending the data to a third party, I'd be in
favor of that.

Royce