Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 95 12:08:03 EST
From:      jeffa@sybase.com (Jeff Anuszczyk)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com
Subject:   Help with 1.1.5.1 and SLIP (problem with handling hangups)

Hi All,
   I'm sorry for asking a question dealing with such an old version of
FreeBSD.  However, this is going up in a production evironment (yes, I
feel 1.1.5.1 is production quality!) as an internet gateway.

   A little bit of background: I've setup this new machine (a 486/33...
in case anyone is curious, FreeBSD will run on a single CPU Digital
Application433MP which is a huge EISA'ish machine capable of handling
3 CPU's).  I'm using a 16450 (8250) serial port (DB9) with a cable
capable of handling modem control.  The modem is a Boca 14.4 (DB-25)
that is a perm. connection to a service provider.

   The problem: I launch the slattach using "-h -z -u... " etc to force
an initial dialup.  At first everything would connect but the modem would
not actually pass anything out or in to the System.  Hmmm, using "-l"
would make everything run okay.  Okay, so I diddled with some parameters
on the modem and got a new cable and have managed to get over that hurdle.
The problem now is the modem gets disconnected from the service provider,
it properly reports a HUP to the slattach process.  This causes us to
reissue the chat script.  Almost immediately the chat script gets an
error saying it is unable to write to the port.  This causes a new HUP to
be seen by the slattach process... which launches a new chat script... etc.

   Well... this is a major league bummer since I need the slattach to
be able to automatically redial if it looses the connection.  Kind of
defeats a perm. connection if it's only as permanent as the initial
dialup.  Uhg.

   Does anyone know of a way around this problem?  Any patches to sio.c
or slattach that would make it handle this better?

   I've put quite a bit of time and energy trying to get this to work...
without success.  I've even tried a DB25 based 16550A serial card I used
in my own personal machine with good luck (until recently when my machine
decided to eat the partition table... trust me.. this is a really bad
thing to happen to you).  This didn't solve the problem.

Any help, pointers, etc would be greately appreciated!!!  Soon this machine
will be up on the net as `DMB.COM'.  The internet gateway for a law firm
in Manchester, NH.  I'd really like this to work since other companies in
the area are also expressing interest... I'm doing my best to spread
FreeBSD around! :-)

Thanks,
   - Jeff Anuszczyk

P.S. - I did try FreeBSD 2.0R (Walnut Creek CD-ROM version).  It installed
   like a dream... love the new install script.  However, it wasn't stable
   enough to put up as a gateway machine (sorry... it crashed after about
   8 hours and corrupted most of the disks... that puzzled me a bit).
   The machine is a DEC Application433MP (486/33) with 32MB, EISA, Adaptec
   1540B, SMC Elite Ultra-Combo and gobs of disk space (about 3.5GB).