Date:      Wed, 13 May 2015 15:25:52 +0200
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        Anders Jensen-Waud <anders@jensenwaud.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS stripe to raidz1

Anders Jensen-Waud schreef op 13/05/15 om 14:37:
> Hello
>
> I bought two 2TB drives and would like to see them up in a 4TB stripe for now. Later, I would like to add redundancy to the stripe by adding one more 2TB disk, effectively ending up with a 4TB raidz1.
>
> Is this possible on FreeBSD 10.1 without having to recreate the entire pool from scratch?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anders

Not like you want it.

You can start with two disks and create a stripe accross both disks.
Keep in mind that if one fails you will loose all your data!
Later on you can mirror disk one by *attaching* a disk to this vdev. But
this way you still have no redundancy. If the second disk/vdev fails,
you still loose all data. You need to *attach* a second disk to the
second vdev also. That way you can loose a disk per mirrored vdev. So
you will need 4 disks.

regards