Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 01:04:48 +0100
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM not found with PIIX4 chipset, -current kernel

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 01:01:09AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > controller      wdc1    [...]
> > disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
> > disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1
>
> Um... Do you really have 4 wd devices plugged in?

Uh, well, no, just 2 (on the first IDE controller).

> Assuming you don't have 4 drives, I'd suggest you slave your ATAPI CDROM
> device on your primary IDE controller. So you'd do something like:

Wow. Thanks a million! I didn't even have to go so far, I just
deleted wd2 and wd3 and acd0 now appears as if by magic. I can't
tell you how extremely stupid I now feel...

OTOH, I copied this from the GENERIC kernel config file, assuming
it recognizes an ATAPI CDROM when it finds one. So my puzzled
question is now: how can the GENERIC kernel work in that case,
since it declares wd[0-3] ?
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr