Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 16:24:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Zeno <zeno@peace.upol.cz>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAD16 in FreeBSD 4.0

Hi!

  I'm using FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE and I'm not able to get my sound card
work.

  my soundcard is "Monte Carlo 929" by "Turtle Beach". AFAIK there is
MAD16 (OPTi 82C929) and is compatible w/ mss, sb (i guess sb pro), midi
(YM 3812/OPL3) and have MPU 401 interface.

  I only need mss to work. There are some documents about configuring it
but now... I found out this:

  using device snd is obsolete, I tried it and there is much more nois
than real sounds

  device pcm doesnt find the card
  device pcm0 irq 10 ... etc.... then this if found:
pcm0: <CS4231A> at port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 1 flags 0xa100 on isa0

but at boot time and at any time I want to use it, it seems to wait for
some time-out... nothing there's nothing to be heared.

$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) May 23 2000 11:08:18
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CS4231A> at io 0x530 irq 10 drq 1 (1p/1r channels)

  I had the similar (or the same) problem in linux, it seems that it found
mss (CS4231A) but do not use MAD16 which is really needed to be used to
make sound (AFAIK - but maybe I'm wrong). The problem was solved w/ Linux
2.2.x.

  I have found some information in list-archives - there was some options
MAD16_PORT but it doesn't seem to work. And handbook is about kernel 3.x
:( - am I missing the newest one?

  Any help?

                                Zeno