Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:32:55 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Index of ports?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 01:32:00PM -0700, Brian Sobolak wrote:
> Hello Nils,
>
> Thursday, October 18, 2001, 1:13:20 PM, you wrote:
>
> NH> Hi folks,
>
> NH> well, is there an easy way to get a kind of "index" of the ports
> NH> collection? I know that all ports can be browsed on the FreeBSD website,
> NH> but I'd rather have some kind of local list here that I can browse. The
> NH> list should contain an entry for each port, along with the one-line
> NH> describtion what it does.
>
> NH> I thought that in the past something like that existed within the ports
> NH> tree (i.e. I think there was a kind of HTML file in for each port category
> NH> listing all the ports and their function). Right now, however, I'm not
> NH> able to find such an index on my machine - although I'm sure that it once
> NH> was there...
>
> NH> Any ideas how I can easily (and locally) get an overwiev of all the ports
> NH> in the collection?
>
> /usr/ports/INDEX on my system....

And for a more readable variant you can go into /usr/ports (or one of
the subdirectories) and do 'make readmes' which will create a file
README.html in each port below the directory in which you do the make.
The creates a nice, readable, list of all the ports.

(This is documented in the ports(7) manpage if you didn't know.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson