Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 21:02:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dennis White <dennywhite@yahoo.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] DMESG error message on boot

Went back into kernel config & took out isa entry
for ed1 & entered info under pcmcia nic's for the
linksys 10/100 lan card under ed0. Did the make
depend, make & make install & everything seemed
to go okay, but really won't know for sure til I
get back home from offshore job, plug into my
network & check everything out. Still, something
must be better, since I'm no longer getting that
error message. I think my ignorance of the right way
to setup the card is what caused the problem. Just
assumed, since I could communicate with other puters
in my LAN & get on the Internet, that everything was
setup right automatically on install. Have to get out
of this windows mind (mindless) set. :-) Thanks for
the tip & info.

--- Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com> wrote:
> dennywhite@yahoo.com (Dennis White) writes:
>
> > Trying to find out what the following error message means
> when
> > I'm booting my laptop, running freebsd 4.3
> >
> > Local package intialized :July 2 10:26:04 mobile2 /kernel:
> ed1:
> > DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address
> > e08:000a::02e0:98ff:fe8a:a1fc:
> > 1 NS, 0 NA Jul 2 10:26:04 mobile2 /kernel: ed1: DAD complete
> for
> > fe80:000a::02e0:98ff:fe8a: a1fc -duplicate found
> > Jul 2 10:26:04 mobile2 /kernel: ed1: manual intervention
> required
> >
> > Thanks for any help. Really just looking for a push in the
> right
> > direction as to what to read & where to find it.
>
> DAD is IPv6 "duplicate address detection".  Looks like a
> collision of
> MAC addresses, so you may have a problem even if you disable
> IPv6.  In
> theory, Ethernet addresses (which I suspect those are) are
> supposed to
> be unique, so my guess would be that you have two interfaces on
> that
> machine which are somehow hearing each other's packets.  That's
> just a
> guess, though.

=====
dennywhite@yahoo.com