Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:46:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Experiments...

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:

> I have done my exam at University, and now I'm again here "active" and
> kicking.. ;)
>
> Now, the problem is: what to do? I'm trying to build my personal toolchain. So
> I have compiled binutils (latest version) and I'll try to compile egcs
> tomorrow. Maybe it's a better compiler, but it's more an experiment to see what
> it says when I try to compile it.
> The problem is: I haven't an Ultra. So someone must test bins for me (we can
> compare what my toolchain gives and what _you_ obtain from your toolchain).
>
> Ok, this is not a tecnical prob, the tecnical ones are:
>
> 1) I have compiled binutils with sparc64-elf, is this right? Have I to use
> sparc-aout?

no, you are correct, our target is sparc64-elf, not aout.  aout is dead,
long live elf.

> 2) I'll try to compile egcs with same flags in 1)

this is a pain, you'll need to set your path to the bin-util's bin
directory, you'll also have to compile like so:

(this assumes you configured with --prefix=/usr/local/sparc64)

export C_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/sparc64/sparc64-elf/bin
export PATH=/usr/local/sparc64/sparc64-elf/bin:/usr/local/sparc64/bin

gmake LANGUAGES="c c++"

hopefully that'll work, however you'll be generating invalid elf binaries
without Kapil Chowksey's and my patches.  i still haven't exactly decided
on what to use for our compiler, i'm temped to use egcs-current as
supposedly the sparc back end is way better, however egcs1.1.1 is now
supposedly branded "stable" moving between revisions shouldn't be too bad.

> My idea is to have 2 toolchains. The first one to test "compiler" and
> the second one to use it on code. We don't know much about
> egcs/gcc/etc. so I thought to test compiler/toolchain on a usable
> platform (Solaris). This mean the first toolchain (I called it
> SolarSystem) must be used _only_ to test the compiler, and the second
> one (EatIt) must be used to do our test when SolarSystem works.

this is less of an issue than just getting code done. :)  there are
workarounds for invalid asm code.  moving between revisions of egcs to get
correct code will stink but they already test their own work, we shouldn't
need/try to duplicate their efforts.

> Now, I don't know if we can build Sparc64 bins under solaris, and what
> to do to build the right toolchain.
>
> About test programs. I'm preparing some test programs. The first is something
> like "do-nothing". No output, no input. After that I'll do more complicated
> programs (math progs, and input/output, etc...).

i have generated .o files (gcc -c) and .S files (gcc -S) with egcs, they
look "ok"  the only problem is that they aren't branded correctly to be
linked into solaris binaries.  Basically i haven't been able to use
solaris 'ld' to link my generated binaries with native compiled binaries.

This doesn't mean that the code is bad, just that i have to play with the
objformat stuff more.

Also, i'm unsure of what ABI we will follow.  I have a sol-7 box and
strangly enough all the shared objects test out to be 32bit, this isn't
our goal, 64 bit is.

> Suggestions?

*head scratch*

i'm trying to merge in Kapil's kernel work into the tree i have at home...
have you downloaded it?