Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 2001 23:31:17 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with VLAN and natd.

Wes Peters wrote:

> "C. Stephen Gunn" wrote:
> >
> > Netgraph is an excellent technology.  While your comment makes
> > sense, there are several issues that will need to be addressed.
> > For instance, the current ARP implementation in FreeBSD is
> > entangled with the generic ethernet code.
>
> Under netgraph, it would be just another protocol in a netgraph node,
> and could be added to (and removed from) the interface as needed.  That
> would be interesting from the standpoint of a secure system over which
> you wanted to control the ARP entries.  Being able to simply turn off
> dynamic ARP has been discussed often, but never really acted upon.

Sorry to reply to my own message, but another thought hit me.  Now that
the swelling has gone down, I thought I should share it:

This might even give us a start at a sticky problem that has been bugging
VLAN switch makers from the start, namely, per-VLAN ARP tables.  That is
something really needed to do VLANs correctly.