Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 10:22:21 +0100
From:      Jamie Heckford <jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Problems with Quantum Snapserver 4100 (BGE Cards!)

Im pretty sure this has to be related to the Broadcom Cards.

I tested it again this morning from the Compaq rack with the bge card
in, same problem. tried doing cp -r /usr/ports /data1-home/ (nfs), copied
about 1.3M and then froze. Even cd'ing to the directory to try and do
an ls caused my shell to freeze, with Ctrl+C failing to provoke a
response.

Just to confirm it wasn't a snap server issue, I mounted the nfs share
on 3 other FreeBSD boxes (4.2-R, 4.3-R and 4.6-PRERELEASE) that have
a variety of 3Com and Intel cards installed, tested copying a 2GB mailbox (!),
worked fine. /usr/ports... worked fine.

Another odd thing i've seen on the box with the broadcom cards is that when
connected via ssh, a simple ls on a large directory (held on a local disk)
will get about halfway,
pause for about a second, then continue. At first I put this down to traffic
on my segment but its happening practically all the time, and this is on
100Mbit connection on the same switch.

Just a reminder of the troublesome card...
bge0: <Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet> mem 0xf7fb0000-0xf7fbffff irq 5 at device 5.0 on pci1

FYI there on Cisco Catalyst 2924 switches, and yes they are properly configured ;)

CC'ed to hackers as its related to a prev. discussion.

Thanks for all your help so far

Jamie

How I wish I went for the other supplier now :)

Thus spake Matthew Dillon (dillon@apollo.backplane.com) :