Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 20:14:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> 	The question that *really* needs to be addressed is whether
> what Mark is stating is correct (right now, I assume he is) in that
> other Uinx variants' mail.local programs use .lock files to deal with
> locking.

Here is a quick survey of the local delivery agents invoked by
sendmail on some local machines.  The following use .lock files:

 OSF1 copper V3.2 148 alpha
 HP-UX ophelia B.10.01 A 9000/819 5611371 two-user license
 IRIX kalondin 5.3 02091401 IP22 mips
 ULTRIX nickel 4.4 0 RISC

I wasn't able to confirm the local delivery agent for:

 SunOS cheyenne 5.5.1 Generic_103640-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

because sendmail.cf was only readable by root, but judging from
the mail(1) man page, I suspect it uses .lock files as well.

HP-UX, Solaris, ULTRIX, and IRIX are using 1777 for mail
directories while OSF1 is using 777.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================