Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:05:21 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, d@delphij.net
Cc:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Are large RAID stripe sizes useful with FreeBSD?

--nextPart1774646.OXeITV98u8

> Short answer: yes.  Larger stripe sizes would allow better performance
> for continuous read/write.  In theory they will negatively affect small
> size read/write but in practice you will notice that larger stripe size
> would give better performance in almost all cases.

One case where I have used large stripe sizes (though not with hardware rai=
d=20
and not with FreeBSD) is with concurrent small reads (small =3D seek is the=
=20
dominant cost) on top of a device of many drives. In these cases you want t=
o=20
minimize the chance that a particular read will span multiple stripes, such=
=20
that only a single drive will take a seek hit for a given request. This in=
=20
turn maximizes actual physical concurrency when under high load (=3Dhigh=20
incoming request concurrency).

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'