Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 01:10:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        David Xu <bsddiy@163.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kenel panic, vm_map_entry_create: kernel resources exhausted

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Valentin Nechayev wrote:

>  Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:27:33, bsddiy (David Xu) wrote about "kenel panic, vm_map_entry_create: kernel resources exhausted":
>
> > I am using FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE,  my machine has 64 RAM.
> > I can use a fork bomb to crash kernel under some conditions,
> > fork bomb program is:
> >
> >   #include <unistd.h>
> >   int main()
> >   {
> >          while(1)
> >         {
> >              if (fork() == 0)
> >                  break;
> >         }
> >         return 0;
> > }
> >
> > when kernel panic, it prints: vm_map_entry_create: kernel resources
> > exhausted,
> > then after some seconds, it reboots.
>
> [snip]

Have you looked at /etc/login.conf?

The stock values in this file were quite reasonable in 2.2.8, but in
3.x and onwards the values are set to unlimited for almost all
parameters in the default class.

I'm not an expert on this matter, and I don't know if changing the
/etc/login.conf file will help, but I think the old values for the
default class should be put back.

PS! Don't forget to run cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf after editing.