Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:35:58 -0500
From:      "Ben Kaduk" <minimarmot@gmail.com>
To:        "Ben Kaduk" <minimarmot@gmail.com>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: audio CD's in SCSI drives -- syntax?

Hi Marc,

You've been committing so many of my -doc PR's I forgot you were on
-multimedia, too :)

On 7/20/07, Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 04:50:00PM -0500, Ben Kaduk wrote:
> >  Hi everyone,
> >
> >  I'm going through the multimedia section of the handbook, ostensibly
> >  to look for grammar errors, but I noticed that most of the examples
> >  are SCSI-centric, and do not seem to make use of named device nodes.
> >  I do not have access to a SCSI CD drive myself, so I ask here to get
> >  some more information about the current state of accessing SCSI CD
> >  drives.
> >
> >  In particular, I am looking at this page:
> >  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-mp3.html
> >
> >  For example, in its discussion of the use of cdda2wav, it uses devices
> >  by their SCSI unit numbers, but I presume that one could also point it
> >  at /dev/cd0 (since /dev/acd0 works just fine) -- is this true?
> >

> No, it does not work.
> With my PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS, only
> cdda2wav -D 0,3,0 ... runs

Thanks for the info.  I may be getting some (my first) SCSI hardware
soon, though it will be ten years old.  Maybe then I'll be more
motivated to dig into the code and see why the above is the case.

> There is another tool for ripping audio CD with SCSI drives: audio/tosha
> I find tosha easier to use than cdda2wav, but this requires to install
> another app and since cdda2wav is part of sysutils/cdrtools ...

For now, I think I'll keep the handbook only mentioning cdda2wave --
the text is confused enough as is.

> >  The section also mentions that dd(1) can be used to extract audio
> >  tracks from ATAPI drives.  Is it (still) true that SCSI drives do not
> >  export the individual tracks as device nodes (e.g. ATAPI drives offer
> >  /dev/acd0t01)?
>
> It's specific to ATAPI drives, it's a solution to avoid SCSI oriented
> tools to rip audios CD.  Remember, there was a time where if you

Okay.

wanted
> to burn/rip/etc. you had to own a SCSI CDROM (all the tools were for
> SCSI devices) and there was no ATAPI/CAM.  The ATAPI/CAM module came
> later on FreeBSD in comparaison to other *BSD, but we had wormcontrol(8)
> then later burncd(8) which allowed us to burn on ATAPI without the need
> of SCSI emulation.  Well, I'm happy this old time is other cause burning
> on IDE burner in pre-burncd or pre-ATAPI/CAM era was not "funny".

Wow.  I actually don't remember -- I'm rather young (in-between
undergrad and grad school at the moment).  My family didn't get a
computer with a CD drive that could burn discs until what was probably
the burncd(8) era, but it was running a microsoft product, so all the
inner workings were quite obscure.

> Here's what I used to burn a data CD under 3.X:
>
> wormcontrol -f /dev/racd1c prepdisk double
> wormcontrol -f /dev/racd1c track data
> dd if=./data.iso of=/dev/racd1c bs=20k
> wormcontrol -f /dev/racd1c fixate 1
> cdcontrol -f /dev/racd1 eject
>
> You imagine in the case of audio... :)

Quite so.

Getting back to the handbook page, I think I am going to shuffle
around the examples in the patch I submit.  I have no data, but I have
the impression that ATA (and now SATA) drives are much more prevalent
in the systems that are likely to want to rip CD's.  Accordingly, I
will give the example for /dev/acd0 first, then mention that SCSI
needs the unit numbers.  I'll also have the captions describe the
additional flags after their first use (which is not presently the
case).

Do you agree that this part of the handbook is not the place to
discuss the history of SCSI and ATAPI?

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk