Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:07:26 -0800
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@borg-cube.com>
To:        List FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How much difference does 'gcc -O<x>' make?

A question occurred to me today.  How much difference does 'gcc -O<x>'
make in the speed of my system?

I notice some ports that claim to not work properly if compiled with
-O<x> (the one that comes to mind right away is XFree86 4.x, but I've
seen others) and I am thinking of just turning OFF -O<x> option in my
/etc/make.conf.  I'm just wondering how much of an impact this will
have on system performance.

FYI, my box is a Via C3 @ 800MHz with 128 MB RAM, and it basically
lives its life as an e-mail and Web server and gateway for my home
network.  (in other words it doesn't do any computing intensive stuff
like sequencing DNA or searching for aliens. :) )

TIA for your advice/opinions.
Donald
--
Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com> | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!