Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:25:25 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "Person\, Roderick" <personrp@UPMC.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: spamassassin helps lots, but I'm tired of sorting the backscatter ; -)

"Person, Roderick" <personrp@UPMC.EDU> writes:
> Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz> writes:
> > Anybody got a good way to send an automagic Ping'o'death to a
> > spammer's computer?
> I recall years ago into looking into this and was told it was illegal
> to do such a thing in response to a spammer, but it was ok for them to
> spam me. That never made sense to me, but I stop trying to figure it
> out.

It *is* illegal, and for good cause.  It's called vigilantism.

As for the legality of spam - almost all spam these days is either
fraud, advertising for illegal and / or fake medication, or both, and
almost all of it is sent from hijacked computers.  That makes spam
doubly illegal: 1) illegal intrusion into a computer system for the
purpose of committing 2) wire fraud and / or trading in illegal
substances.

IANAL, though, and I don't even play one on TV.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no