Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:38:43 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alterations to vops

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
> >     What may be happening here is stalling in namei().  find and cvsup
> >     are very heavy on path lookups and that combined with seek latency
> >     on the drive could result in filesystem locks on directories being
> >     held for much longer periods of time then normal.  Any other process
> >     trying to 'open' a file (verses reading or writing an already-open file)
> >     would start to stall.
>
> Wouldn't this problem be alleviated by making the operations incremental,
> rather than performing the whole thing in one go in kernelspace?

Right, uhm, I'm still not entirely sure of what you mean by "incremental".
Do you want to give a nice long example of how its done now and how you
are proposing it should be done?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@FreeBSD.org>		rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and