Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:39:57 -0400
From:      Cat Okita <cat@ghost.uunet.ca>
To:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@locke.ccil.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, ache@astral.msk.su, scrappy@ki.net, current@FreeBSD.org, ncurses-list@netcom.com
Subject:   Re: terminfo-less ncurses

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> But these are details.  Show me a new terminal that can't be described
> essentially completely by terminfo.  Go ahead.  Try.  They're just not
> building weird command sets like they used to -- async-terminal technology
> now consists of 99% VT100/ANSI/ECMA-48 clones and 1% fossils.

...and on another level, the terminfo structure is a *Bloody Nuisance*
when you're stuck trying to boot a machine with a terminal, and there
isn't an entry for it.

Checking the 'entry' is impossible under terminfo - it's compiled, so you
can't even head for the closest match (and if you've ever been stuck trying
to find a definition for useful things like escape characters and function
keys...) - with the termcap file, not only do you know where to look, you
can figure out what the closest match is *without* having to know the last
10 years worth of terminals inside out and backwards...

Cat