Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:29:08 +0200
From:      "Manfred Riem" <mriem@manorrock.org>
To:        "'Jean-Baptiste Quenot'" <jb.quenot@caraldi.com>, <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Location of Java libraries [Was: tomcat41 producing 28 javadaemons]

Hi all,

> > > The correct location is /usr/local/share/java/classes/*,
> > > aka ${JAVAJARDIR} in ports.
> >
> > Speaking of that, maybe this would be a good time to
> > review the ports tree to detect Java ports that do
> > not comply with this common scheme. I have started to
> > submit PRs for ports  that do not use the JAVAJARDIR
> > macro directly but maybe it would be nice if we had a
> > central point where a common TODO list could be implemented...
>
> I'm against the warnings of portlint if the packing list
> contains jars outside of the <correct> location: Java
> applications often come with their own jars, sometimes
> it is difficult or impossible to customize the location
> of  the required libraries. Also, when installing a web
> application, the location is hardcoded to WEB-INF/lib.

I concur with this observation. So instead I would suggest
to follow the normal convention, eg. just packaging them
using /usr/local/<packagename>. This way you can decide
yourself if you want to have a common JAR / .class directory.

Especially because some of the products might use a
conflicting set of JAR files.

Regards,

Manfred Riem
mriem@win.tue.nl