Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:38:38 -0600
From:      Vladimir Egorin <vladimir@math.uic.edu>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suspend/resume improved?

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 05:49:06PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
	> Eric Anderson wrote:
	> >Nate Lawson wrote:
	> >
	> >>I made a commit over the weekend to -current that may fix some
	> >>suspend/resume driver issues for people.  Please test and let me know
	> >>if it helps.
	> >
	> >Will these changes also apply to -stable users?
	>
	> In about a day when I MFC.
	>
	> >Nate - I'd like to help you debug some S3 issues - I've read the ACPI
	> >debugging page and I'll start playing with what I can - but is there
	> >anything in particular I should work with?  I'm running 5.3-STABLE with
	> >the acpi patches that were posted about a month ago to the -acpi list.
	>
	> It's pretty straightforward but arduous work.  First strip down your
	> system, removing all drivers except for the hard drive and keyboard (no
	> USB, network, etc.)  Don't run X.  Try S3.  If it works, add back in
	> drivers until it fails.
	>
	> If it fails, try to find out where it fails.  Does it truly make it to
	> sleep or does it immediately resume?  Add the beep code Warner posted a
	> while back to the resume code and see if you get a beep.  If you get a
	> beep but a dead system, it's something in driver resume.  Try to enable
	> the network driver and ssh into your system after resume.  If it works,
	> it's a video driver problem and you need to mess with resuming the VESA
	> BIOS.  Don't run DRM with X.

Thanks for these instructions.   I hoped for a while to get
suspend/resume working on my desktop (Asus P4P8X, P4 2.0).
I've finally narrowed the problem to sk driver (for a built-in
ethernet).  Any attempt to use the network after resume (even
typing "ifconfig") results in a hard lockup, I cannot enter the
debugger from the console.

--
Vladimir