Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:27:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: amd <long>

On 11-Aug-00 keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:
> Having a problem getting up and rolling with amd. I'll admit up front that
> the amd.conf and amd manuals don't work well with my brain and is more
> then a little confusing if not vague. For instance in the man page for
> amd.conf it says the following.
> auto_dir (string, default=/a) Same as the -a option to amd. This sets the
> private directory where amd will create sub-directories for its real mount
> points.
>
> The man page for amd says the following for the -a option.
> -a temporary-directory
> Specify an alternative location for the real mount points. The default is
> /a.
>
> I don't even know what a temporary direcroty is or why you would need one.
> I thought it would work much like simply mounting a remote fs with the
> mount command and it would put it where specified. Currently I can get a
> local cdrom to mount but it's all screwy in how it does it. I'm sure it's
> me so I'm not slamming amd on this just not understanding the whole
> process and sequence of events of mounting with amd. I have very simple
> conf files for this. And quite possitive they are screwed up somehow. Here
> they are.
>
> /etc/amd.conf
> [ global ]
> auto_dir = /a
> log_file = /var/log/amd
> log_options = all
> map_type = file
> search_path = /etc
> [/cdrom]
> map_name = amd.cdrom
> browsable_dirs = yes
>
> /etc/amd.cdrom
> cdrom  type:=program;\
> mount:="/sbin/mount mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom";\
> unmount:="/sbin/umount umount -f /cdrom"
>
> Thing is, I cd into /cdrom and there is another dir in there named cdrom
> inwhich I have to cd into that one to get to the cd. BUT, once I cd back
> out of the directory I can go straight into /cdrom and the cdrom directory
> that was in there is now gone and the cd contents are shown. Confussion
> abounds. Thanks for any pointers. Sorry for the long mail.
>
> Keith

I use this:

/etc/amd.conf
[ global ]
normalize_hostnames =    no
print_pid =              no
restart_mounts =         yes
#auto_dir =               /n
log_file =               /var/log/amd
log_options =            all
#debug_options =         all
plock =                  no
cache_duration  =        6
dismount_interval =      20
selectors_on_default =   yes
# config.guess picks up "sunos5" and I don't want to edit my maps yet
os =                     sos5
# if you print_version after setting up "os", it will show it.
print_version =          no
map_type =               file
search_path =            /etc/amdmaps:/usr/lib/amd:/usr/local/AMD/lib
browsable_dirs =         yes

[ /a ]
map_name =              amd.cdrom

Then in /etc/amdmaps/amd.cdrom:
cdrom           type:=cdfs;fs:=/cdrom;dev:=/dev/wcd0c;opts:=ro

cd /a/cdrom then does what it is supposed to.
(It took me a LONG time reading the 4.4BSD automounter
manual before getting this far:(

/Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se