Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2014 22:08:13 -0400
From:      Ryan Steinmetz <zi@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        gecko@freebsd.org, ports-secteam@freebsd.org, chromium@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POODLE SSLv3 vulnerability

On (10/15/14 03:03), Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
>against SSL 3.0 with no known mitigation.
>
>I would like us to ship Firefox with SSL 3.0 disabled by default.  This
>means setting security.tls.version.min to 1, or, in terms of code,
>changing the initial value of PSM_DEFAULT_MIN_TLS_VERSION from 0 to 1 in
>security/manager/ssl/src/nsNSSComponent.cpp.  I assume that other
>Mozilla ports use the same code and require the same changes.
>
>Note that this does not preclude the user from changing the setting back
>to 0 in about:config.
>
>I would also like to do the same for Chrome, but I don't know the exact
>procedure and I am unable to find out or test, since Chrome has been
>broken for several months.

FireFox devs will be disabling SSLv3 by default in the November release o=
Firefox:
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2014/10/14/the-poodle-attack-and-the-en=
d-of-ssl-3-0/

In the interim, they've released an addon to force TLS only:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ssl-version-control/

It might be less surprising if we bundle the addon with the current
installation.

-r

>DES
>--=20
>Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no
>Please think twice when forwarding, cc:ing, or bcc:ing
>ports-security-team messages.  Ask if you are unsure.

--=20
Ryan Steinmetz
PGP: 9079 51A3 34EF 0CD4 F228  EDC6 1EF8 BA6B D028 46D7