Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:59:36 +0200
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dualboot with FBSD boot manager

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:25:23 +0100
Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 11:03, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> > Windows, including XP, wants to boot off the C-drive (the first boot
> > device that is). So either you switch your drives OR you setup the
> > BIOS to boot of the SECOND hardrive first.
>
> That is not quite true. Windows Xp (&NT, 2k) can be on any partion.
> The boot loader need to be at the start of the C-Drive.

Technically true. I knew that. But in the case of the OP there is no
way to put the bootloader of XP on the C-drive since it is formatted as
a fbsd (utf) drive. Furthermore I stated that XP wants to *BOOT* off
the C-drive. I did not mention the space of the rest of the OS ;-)

ONE other way to deal with the problem (I did that succesfully once) is
to install GAG. When you add XP as a new OS say YES to the question if
the drives should be switched. That way everything can stay as it is.
Only difference will be the bootmananger ;-)

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4