Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 11:08:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCO offers Ancient Unix Source Code License

On Fri, 15 May 1998 at 10:22:02 -0700, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
>> The cost to you only: $100USD
>>
>> for the source code for: Mini Unix OS, Unix V6, PWB Unix, and Unix V7
>> (covers editions 1-5, and the 32V)
>
> One of the things this gets you, if you happen to care, is the ability to get
> 4.4BSD-non-Lite.  Or any previous release of BSD, for that matter.
>
> So, any of you who have vaxen...
>
> Admittedly, this really doesn't matter a whole lot anymore, with the free
> unices available.  SCO knows it, and that's why they're doing it; the $100 is,
> supposedly (and I tend to believe them on this), the cost of the record
> keeping they need to do, and some of their legal costs.

I think in many ways the license fee reflects the internal struggles
in SCO to get this thing off the ground in the first place.  Kudos to
Dion Johnson for fighting the internal battles.  I think the original
sum of $100 was, in fact, suggested by Warren Toomey.

If anybody's interested, snoop around a bit in pdp11.lemis.com.  The
user 'guest' has the password '2.11BSD', at least for a couple of
days.

Greg