Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 18:07:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for a 2 channel Fast Ethernet NIC

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Craig Metz wrote:

>   Another suggestion: Try to maximize the number of IRQs available for
> allocation to PCI devices. Remember that a dual-port board (at least the SMC)
> is going to take up two of them. (As far as I can tell, the multi-Tulip
                                                                  designs
> like the Adaptec that try to conserve IRQs end up causing more problems than
> they solve) Move ISA boards to lower IRQs, and disable everything in your BIOS
> that you're not using (e.g., IDE, USB, and allocating IRQs to the video
                                                                   board).

I hope you are not saying that they can't all share an IRQ if
necessary?  I'm flat out of IRQs.  Isn't everybody?  It seems
obvious that a 4-port NIC would exhaust the standard PCI IRQs.
Add a SCSI controller or two, maybe multiport, a video capture
card, and, where are you?  If you can't share IRQs, you might
as well not bother with the multiport NIC in the first place.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          hlamaster@arc.nasa.gov