Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:29:51 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with ftp-proxy

<rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>>=20
>> I use ftp-proxy, together with the patch that starts multiple =
instances:
>>=20
>=20
> I recommend avoiding ftp-proxy and setting up static rules that you =
know will work. On our systems in pure-ftpd.conf we set
>=20
> PassivePortRange          3000 3200
>=20
> and then on the system's firewall and every firewall in front we pass =
through ports 3000-3200. It's a simple solution that's guaranteed to =
work, and you don't have to debug what the proxy is doing.
>=20
> Also, most ftp-proxy software tends to do a very bad job once you =
start throwing in FTPES. We see this with customer firewalls all the =
time. These firewall services under the guise of "proxys", "fixups", or =
"Application Layer Gateways" are just inconsistent and unreliable no =
matter which vendor supplies it.
>=20
> Note, you may have to make the range larger if you expect more than =
200 concurrent sessions.

Hi,

thanks for the hint.

I didn't get that to work right away, either=85.

But while I worked through various documentations and tutorials, I =
checked if
net.inet.ip.forwarding
was actually set to 1.
It wasn't, even though sysctl.conf had it set.

After re-applying it, things started to work again=85

Best Regards,
Rainer=