Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupted OS

I have lots of other files, yes, several gigabytes worth. I have a satellit=
e dish connection, which for uploading has all the speed of a telephone lin=
e. It's a production server. And I don't have my hands on the console. I th=
ink I'll avoid fdisk, but thanks anyway ;)=0ADrew=0A=0A----- Original Messa=
ge ----=0AFrom: Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>=0ATo: Drew Jenkins <drew=
jenkinsjr@yahoo.com>=0ACc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org=0ASent: Friday, Ma=
rch 16, 2007 11:17:55 AM=0ASubject: Re: Corrupted OS=0A=0AOn Fri, Mar 16, 2=
007 at 05:09:15PM +0700, Drew Jenkins wrote:=0A=0A> 23Hi;=0A> Is it possibl=
e to rebuild an OS without reformatting the hard drive? I =0A> have FBSD6.2=
, so I can't upgrade.=0A=0AI am not sure just what you are trying to avoid.=
=0AFirst of all, strictly speaking, when installing FreeBSD you never=0Afor=
mat or reformat the hard-drive.  That is a much lower level=0Aoperation.  F=
reeBSD and all other OSen use the factory format=0Aunless you do something =
unusually drastic.=0A=0ADoing fdisk/bsdlabel/newfs is not technically 'form=
atting' the drive=0Abut rather building slices, partitions and filesystems =
on the drive.=0A=0ANow.   You do not have to redo the fdisk, bsdlabel and n=
ewfs to=0Awipe out and reinstall things, but why not do them?   They take=
=0Avery little time.    The only reason I could think of would be if=0Ayou =
have a lot of your own files you don't want to nuke.  But, in=0Athat case, =
the better course of action would be to back them up=0Asomewhere safe and d=
o the complete reinstall from scratch and then=0Abring your own files back.=
=0A=0A////jerry=0A=0A> TIA,=0A> Drew=0A> =0A> _____________________________=