Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:43:37 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>
To:        Carlos A M dos Santos <casantos@cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, kris@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG, taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: Making XFree86-4 the default

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 10:20:24AM +0000, Carlos A M dos Santos wrote:

> Well, in 4.1-RELEASE with XFree 3.3.6 it *is* doing something. Look at
> /etc/pam.conf.

Yes, it does in 3.3.6, we are talking about 4.0.x.

> > Do we depend on the xwrapper by default yet, and not install the
> > servers setuid root?
>
> The X server needs to be installed suid root only if you want it to be
> started by ordinary users with "startx". XDM already starts the server as
> root. The server doesn't use any authentication, PAM or whatever else, XDM
> does.

Again, I'm talking about the behaviour of the 4.0.x server. 3.3.6 was
not installed setuid root, but had a setuid root wrapper which
performed some amount of input validation, and was responsible for
catching at least one server buffer overflow. 4.0.x removed that,
although we now have an xwrapper port which should be used by default.

Kris