Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 07:55:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za, voland@plab.ku.dk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pwd_mkdb max uid warning.

> 	Hi Sheldon!
>
> On 18 Nov 99 at 14:37, "Sheldon" (Sheldon Hearn) wrote:
>
>  >> But merely for satisfying my curiosity, what are you gonna do with vipw
>  >> and pw? Being called implicitly pwd_mkdb will warn you anyway.
>
>  Sheldon> That was one of the reasons I wanted an envorinment variable, but
>  Sheldon> I was warned off that idea by bde.
>
> 	Why? What reasons make this solution unacceptable?
> --
>     /Voland			Vadim Belman
> 				E-mail: voland@plab.ku.dk

Just my $0.02 -  environment variables don't make a good programming
or user interface.

User X runs the program - it behaves this way.

User Y runs the program - it behaves this *other* way (same command line.)

User X runs the program another day - it behaves yet *another* way.

Support group gets a call and has to spend time figuring out what
environment variables are meaningful to the program and what there
values were (the user may not even be aware of them, or set/unset them.)

It's much better to be explicit about things like this.

Just my opinion -

	- Dave Rivers -