Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:40:17 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        cdwrite@other.debian.org
Subject:   cdrdao cannot allocate memory error

[please CC me since I'm not subscribed to the list]
[Note: cross-posting to cdwrite and freebsd-questions lists]

Hi all,

I am using cdrdao to read and write CDs from/to my SCSI CD-R.

As suggested in pkg-descr and pkg-message (FreeBSD ports system) I
have set the following in my kernel configuration file:

options 	SYSVSHM			#SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			#SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			#SYSV-style semaphores

options 	P1003_1B		#Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options   _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L

However, I always see errors like the following:
ERROR: Cannot create shared memory segment: Cannot allocate memory
ERROR: Try to reduce the buffer count (option --buffers).

According to cdrdao(1), the default number of buffers for FreeBSD is
20 (1 buffer == 1 second of audio data).
Sometimes I can get cdrdao to work with --buffers 16, but now I'm also
getting errors with this number of buffers.
If I go lower (say --buffers 10, which is the minimum) I get buffer
underruns.

Single-user machine
Pentium III 600 MHz, 768 MB RAM
FreeBSD-4.3 (RELENG_4_3)
I have X running but no KDE or Gnome ... just plain icewm.
Errors occur even with low system usage (just X and one or two
Eterms).

Questions:
i) why is cdrdao not able to get the memory it needs? There
	 should be plenty of it most of the time.
ii) Is there anything I can do to fix this?
	  Change my kernel config and recompile?
		Play with sysctl?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fernan

PS: I'm using cdrdao basically because it's the only way to get
cdparanoia-style ripping in FreeBSD. All other rippers are not just
paranoid enough (even with discs that appear OK there are problems).

PS2: cdparanoia builds on FreeBSD but is not able to open the CD-ROM
(ATAPI in my case) or the CD-R (SCSI) for reading.