Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:01:14 -0400
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        dan@langille.org, "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shipping a computer coast to coast

Thursday, April 19, 2001, 11:37:21 AM, Brett Glass wrote:
BG> At 01:12 AM 4/19/2001, Dan Langille wrote:
>>Well, it if we $65 for that time period, I should be able to do it for less
>>than that if I accept a longer delivery period.  Cheap is the key.

BG> "Cheap" can turn out to be very expensive when you're doing shipping.
BG> If you specify "ground" service, that may be exactly what you'll get:
BG> the computer will be ground into little bits! (I've always thought
BG> that shipping companies such as UPS should use the same categories as
BG> Texas barbecue houses: Ground, Chopped, and Sliced.)

BG> Any package NOT transported by air over such a large distance will
BG> be loaded and unloaded many times, dumped down chutes and ramps,
BG> hit by other heavier packages careening down said ramps at high
BG> speeds, and otherwise mistreated. If you dare to send a computer
BG> this way, better TRIPLE-wrap it: a box inside a box inside a
BG> box, with padding between ALL the layers. You may still have a
BG> damage claim even after all this work, so be sure to insure it.

BG> Better yet, send it by air.

BG> --Brett

I'll second this advice. I used to work at UPS during college, and
those boxes go through A LOT of belts, turns, slides, shifts, and
whatever else can possible happen. Plus, the people really don't care
much. One point of advice. Putting FRAGILE on the box means NOTHING!
Maybe just ship the hard drives Air or take them with you, if that
is possible.

As a side note:

The school I was attending while working there ordered 160 Dell
XPS266s to redo one of the entire computer labs. The problem was, they
all came the same night. 160+ computer boxes, 160+ 19" monitor boxes,
and a bunch of miscellaneous boxes. It was hell to say the least. They
never stopped!

Too bad they made the mistake of loading NT4 on all of them. But, I
guess the Business school had to use them too!

--
Good Luck,
-Neill