Date:      Tue, 05 May 2009 14:38:12 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Chris H <chris#@1command.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM_STRIPE: Cannot add disk da2c to st0 (error=17).

Chris H wrote:
> Hello, and thank you for your reply...
>
> Quoting Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>:

[...]
>> Can you check if you have any fdisk metadata on either of your disks?
>> Especially as da0, da1, da2 are attached to st0 without problems,
>> but then GEOM_STRIPE complains about da2c (which looks like a partition
>> entry)...
>

> I cheated, and went into sysinstall > custom > partition
>
> chose each of da0, da1, and da2
>
> pressed "f" then "no" then "yes". Which forced a "dangerously" dedicated
> disk. I also chose "w" on all occasions, and each time the response
> indicated
> Successfully written to disk. I then bailed out of sysinstall, then went
> back, and deleted the partitions, and again, chose "w". Which also
> indicated
> "Successfully written to disk". I then bailed out of sysinstall.
> Having felt the disks were all now clean, I proceeded with the command:
>
> gstripe label -v st0 /dev/da0 /dev/da1 /dev/da2
>
> ...well, you know the rest of the story. :)
>
> Is this not a good (the best) direction to take?

I recommend you to use
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 count=1000
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 count=1000
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da2 count=1000

to clear the begining of the disks. The next step should be to clear the
few last sectors, where metadata of GEOM mirror, journal, stripe etc.
are stored, so you end up with "clear disks" which you can use in
whatever setup you want without problem with old data, partitions etc.

Miroslav Lachman