Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 22:14:07 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        moto@CS.cmu.edu, tinguely@plains.nodak.edu
Subject:   Re: Problems with 2940 and 950210snap

Hello,

	I am closing in on the "restore ..." panics with 4mm DAT
drives.

without specific option dump writes (10 * 1024) byte records to
tape while restore attempts to read (32 * 1024) byte records from
tape.  It is something about this read that appears to panic the
kernel.

Short term fixes:

---
 create dump tapes by:

dump 0bBf 32 2000000 /dev/rst0 /dev/sd0x

 then:

restore isf 1 /dev/rst0

 should work.

---
 if you already have dump tapes created something like:

dump 0f /dev/rst0 /dev/sd0x

 try:

restore isbf 1 10 /dev/rst0

---
Notes:

	the lowercase 'b' option sets the number of 1024 byte blocks
	per tape record.

	the uppercase 'B' option sets the number of blocks expected
	to fit on the tape.  Without the 'B' & '2000000' dump writes
	a relatively SMALL number of records b4 asking for a new tape.

---
I would appreciate any feedback on the success/failure of these
fixes...

					Steve Passe
					smp@clem.systemsix.com