Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:38:13 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        SeRgIo ArTuRo GaRcIa <ser-garc@uniandes.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld-elf.so.1

> Im running FreeBSD 3.1, I installed kaffe from FreeBSD3.1 CD, but when I
> tried to launch it, i got this error :
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared Object "libkaffevm.so.1" not found
>
> then I downloaded JDk from www.freebsd.org/java, and when I try to run
> java or javac, I got the same error! what should I do?

Delete kaffe (pkg_delete) from your hard-disk, because when you type
'java' it's picking up the kaffe version, not the version in
/usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin/java.  Make sure /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin is in
your path.  Kaffe installs itself in /usr/local/bin, so it's
automatically in your path, while the JDK must explicitly be added to
the path.

The JDK version should work fine (and make sure you are using the
version the FreeBSD Java team released day before yesterday...).

Nate