Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Internet sharing with a ppp connection (natd or ppp -nat)

Hello,

I read the section of NAT in the handbook which tells
me that natd is for NICs and people using modems
should use the ppp -nat.  All I wanna do is be able to
browse the internet when I've got my windows laptop
connected to my FBSD box.  The NAT section says I need
to recompile my kernel with the following options:

The following options must be in the kernel
configuration file:

    options IPFIREWALL
    options IPDIVERT

Additionally, at choice, the following may also be
suitable:

    options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
    options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE

if you use ppp -nat does this have to be done?

What about the /etc/rc.conf, what goes in there?
The NAT section you need to put this in it:

    gateway_enable="YES"
    firewall_enable="YES"
    firewall_type="OPEN"
    natd_enable="YES"
    natd_interface="fxp0"
    natd_flags=""

Does this still apply when using ppp -nat?  I guess
the last 3 would not but the first 3 could apply am I
right?

Thanks