Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:50:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu>
To:        lattamoreo <animal@skylink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Help (Cable Modem)

Well, PPP is a little different than a nailed up connection.  DNS search
order and search domains is stored in /etc/resolv.conf, the gateway in
/etc/rc.conf should not be set if you're using usermode PPP.  Instead,
set your hostname in rc.conf to be:
hostname.domain.com
Then, set up your ifconfig lines in /etc/rc.conf like the following
network_interfaces="lo0 tun0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
ifconfig_tun0=

Then, create a file /etc/start_if.tun0

In it, put the line that starts up user PPP.  For me it's
ppp -auto -alias demand
(see man ppp)

This only works for dial-on-demand connections, however.  But that's
really not a problem.  Brian Somers has made the PPP docs pretty
straight-forward, so setting up a connection script and dial-on-demand
isn't too bad.  That should do it for you.  By following the PPP docs
the rest of the way, you should be on-line.

Joe Clarke