Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:55:13 -0500
From:      Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>
To:        Jesper Wallin <jesper@hackunite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to use a PS/2 keyboard after a boot without it.

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 01:51:38AM +0200, Jesper Wallin wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I run a few FreeBSD machines at home (both 4.10 and 5.2.1) and if I boot them up
> *without* having the PS/2 keyboard connected, I can't connect it later on.. My servers
> usually runs without screen and keyboard, power and network cable is the only thing
> needed. :) But when I need to change something (like, take them down to
> single-user-mode), then I need to reconnect the keyboard, reboot the machine and THEN I
> can use the keyboard..
>
> I use to run Linux before and it seems like Linux handle that pretty well, therefore I
> doubt it's a BIOS settings or so.. Is it possible to make FreeBSD work the same way to
> always assume there's keyboard connected so I can connect it whenever I need to without
> (re)booting with it connected?
>

> Regards,
> Jesper Wallin

Understandable, considering PS/2 is not technically hot-swappable...Be careful
doing that, cause I've seen machines stop responding to PS/2 input after a
"bad" swap...I don't know if the on-board keyboard controller gets fried or
what, but swapping PS/2 peripherals is just something I don't do any more.

As far as why FreeBSD doesn't recognize PS/2 hardware after it's hot-plugged,
I can't help you there. You might consider looking at the flags for the
drivers that work with the keyboard.

Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi@puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

If your sysadmin's not being fascist, you're paying him too much.
   --Sam Greenfield