Date:      Sat, 17 May 2008 16:33:20 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   connect(): Operation not permitted

Hello

I got a FreeBSD 7 machine running mail services (among other things). =20=

This machine recently replaced a FreeBSD 6.2 machine doing the same =20
tasks.
Now and then I need to send alot of mail to customers (mailing list), =20=

and one thing i've noticed now after the change is that when I use a =20
lot of connections subsequently (high connection rate, even if they =20
are very shortlived) inside a jail (dunno if that has anything to do =20
with it though), I start to get Operation not permitted in return to =20
connect().
I've seen this in the PHP app that sends mail, when it tried to =20
connect to localhost, as well as from postfix when it have been trying =20=

to connect to amavisd on localhost, but also from postfix when it has =20=

tried to connect to remote SMTP servers.

I do have PF for filtering, but there are no max-src-conn-rate limits =20=

enabled for any rules that is used for this. However, from one of the =20=

jail I do have a hfsc queue limiting the outgoing mail traffic from =20
one jailed IP. But I'm not sure that this would be the problem, since =20=

I've also seen the problem when doing localhost connects in the jail, =20=

and also in other jails on an entierly different IP that is not =20
affected.

Does anyone have any clues about what I can look at and tune to fix =20
this?

Thanks!

--
Johan Str=F6m