Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 21:20:54 +0900
From:      Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>, Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

Hi,

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
> Not to jump in the middle of an argument, but I should note that Nik
> has presented a number of reasonable points in his message and simply
> dismissing them all with a single-line reply of this nature does not,
> I believe, do the poster credit.  A more adequate rebuttal is called
> for.

OK, I'll explain more.

A.  Why 'ja' is better than 'ja.*'
----------------------------------

In Japan, we use three major encoding methods.

  o  JIS  : primary encoding method for e-mail, NetNews.
  o  SJIS : short from "Shift-JIS".  MSDOS/Windows computers use
            this encoding method.
  o  EUC  : EUC is short from "Extended UNIX Code".  Many UNIX
            workstation use this encoding method by default.

These are encoding systems, not character set.  JIS, SJIS and EUC
are same character set.  The conversion between three is very easy
and purely arithmetic.

So, most of Japanese utility can handle these three encoding methods.
For example, we can read/write JIS, SJIS, EUC documents at the same
time on the same window of mule (multiligual enhanced GNU emacs).

#  I write e-mail in JIS, read online manual written in EUC, read
#  DOS-related documents in SJIS at the same time....

Nik wrote:
> That does not preclude a Japanese admin from wanting to install docs in the
> SJIS encoding.  They might want to install these docs *instead of* the
> eucJP docs, or they might want to install these docs *as well as* the eucJP
> docs.

Because most (almost all) of Japanese utility can handle EUC, SJIS
and JIS at the same time,  your idea is not true.
Japanese admin *never* want to install docs in SJIS encoding as well
as the docs in EUC.  It is only a waste of disk space!!

B.  Why Japanese doc team do not want 'ja' -> 'ja_JP.EUC'

One reason is that the cost of change is quite large.
'ja_JP.EUC' -> 'ja' change was *only* one year ago.  Japanese doc
team and ports team paid the cost.  We agreed the change because
it is reasonable (as I explained above).

I cannot understand why we (FreeBSD doc team) have to move the
doc location again.

Another reason is that the "encoding system" is not essential
in Japanese document (as I explained above).