Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 04:13:52 -0500
From:      Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@eircom.net>
Cc:        jmallett@NewGold.NET, wes@softweyr.com, jvervlied@hway.net, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash in /usr/local/bin?

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:04:01 -0500
> Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> JB> I said I'd drop it, but apparently there are people that don't understand the dinosaur mentality of certain organizations such as
> JB> DOD, DISA/DECC, OSD, DARPA, USA, USN, USAF, and USMC.
> JB>
> JB> If it's not in the base setup, on a production box, you can't use it.  Everything must be kept in it's ORIGINAL install location,
>
> 	Th obvious solution to this is a 'Military' switch in sysinstall
> that sets PREFIX to / for all ports.

heheh...  actually...  i've seen military systems that do this...

from what i've read here, not many undrestand the actual mindset of the military when it comes to computing.

the closest would be the guy who mentioned that since ports are on the CD's that they should be acceptable, this is incorrect.  it
took me a while to figure out how backwards they really are.  this is one of the many reasons that they cannot keep good unix talent
around.

remember, these are the same people that argued that C and C++ was evil and that only ADA was good for nearly 15 years, until they
finally realized they were wrong.

let's take a look at the failures of what was supposed to be ADA's swan-song project: the new FAA ATC system...  you know...  the
one that keeps crashing everywhere it's installed.

jim
--
ET has one helluva sense of humor!
He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!