Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 21:47:56 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        wc.bulte@chello.nl, ticso@cicely.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for testers for if_dc patches

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 12:30:13AM -0700, Bill Paul wrote:

> > For reference the ID reported is:
> >
> > de0@pci0:3:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00191011 rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
>
> Hm, ok. First of all, I made a mistake in what I told you. The code in
> dcphy.c checks the subsystem ID, not the device ID. The device ID is always
> the same, since that identifies the 21143 chip, however the subsystem ID
> can vary from board to board depending on the manufacturer's whims.
> The odd thing is that the subsystem ID here is 0x00000000 (the "card="
> value), however that doesn't rule out running our test.
>
> So, go back to dcphy.c and do this:
>
>         case COMPAQ_PRESARIO_ID:
> 	case 0x00000000:
>                /* Example of how to only allow 10Mbps modes. */
>                sc->mii_capabilities = BMSR_ANEG|BMSR_10TFDX|BMSR_10THDX;
>                break;
>
> Let me know if this has any effect.

Unfortunately not.

More data on this bulkhead:

It contains a black plastic module that calls itself:

	ALL-IN-ONE
	Ethernet COAX
	TC3095
along with a 20Mc xtal oscillator. It looks like this is a selfcontained
DC-DC converter, pulse xformer and a 10base2 medium interface in
a single module.

The cable connection to the PCI riser goes to a connector labeled "AUI".
My best guess is that this bulkhead is not much more than a 10baseT/10base2
transceiver in disguise, connected to an AUI interface.

I'm currently performing surgery on my other machine to see what the
10/100 bulkhead contains.

--
Wilko Bulte 	FreeBSD, the power to serve  	http://www.freebsd.org