Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 04:34:42 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: /var/ is full

Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net> types:
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:34:26 -0800 (PST), Dylan Carlson wrote:
>
> >I think it should be mentioned that the Auto option in the FreeBSD installer
> >makes quite undersized /var mounts (IMO)... and in fact I think the default is
> >20MB.
> >
> >I would propose making this default to something 60-100MB in the next RELEASE.
> >20MB isn't suitable for what most people seem to be doing anymore.
>
> the last install i did, i mounted everything on the root.  it seems to
> be working great.  i am wondering if there are any security issues with
> that tho.

The only security issues that show up are related to NFS - you can
only export a filesystem with one set of permissions. If you wanted to
export parts of it r/w and parts r/o, that can't be done.

The other issue is if you're planning on creating anything of your
own. Putting that on a different file system than the system proper is
on means you can reinstall the system - including newfs'ing the system
partitions - without disturbing what you've created.

I tend to wind up doing things like so:

Server: / and /var, with /var holding all the content. /home is on /,
	but shouldn't have anything real on it. Nothing is backed up.

Low-end workstation: / and /home, with /home holding all the content.
	Selected parts of / are tared to /home, and /home is backed up.

Build system: /, /usr (exported r/o), /share (exported r/w), /home
	with /usr/obj, PACKAGES and DISTDIR all on /share. / and /home
	are backed up.

Note that all the configuration files for the the systems are stored
in a source code control system. Restoring a systems complete
configuration takes exactly one command. Servers are configured so
that the real content lives on a system that isn't exposed to the
world, and mirrored to the server after the content has been
approved. Restoring content takes - again - one command.

	<mike