Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:59:35 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Roop Nanuwz <roopn@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow Internals & Error Msg...

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 08:07:25PM -0700, Roop Nanuwz wrote:
> I keep getting this error message when I view 'dmesg' and I have no idea what it means:
>
> arp: 192.168.1.100 is on rl1 but got reply from 00:08:c7:39:78:c7 on rl0
>
> it's repeated quite a few times.. 192.168.1.100 is a win98 workstation...

This is usually caused by someone plugging two NICs into one
hub. However, you indicate below that you have not misconfigured your
network in such a manner. In this case, the most likely cause is
someone else on your coax cable LAN with a misconfigured network
leaking 192.168.1.0/24 numbers.

> Also, something I've noticed is when I'm transferring files (via ftp) internally I don't get more than 20KB/s throughput... this is from
> my FreeBSD gateway to any of my internal boxes... I don't know if this is related to the above error or not...

Unlikely. Dunno what is up with this other problem you seem to be
having.

[snip]