Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:05:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        mark@grumble.grondar.za.@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        vince@mercury.gaianet.net, dgy@rtd.com, mark@grumble.grondar.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, chad@mercury.gaianet.net, jbhunt@mercury.gaianet.net
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

> > > Well, it *appears* that one of *you* did!  :>
> >
> > 	Well, jbhunt was the one who gave the user the account and the
> > user just transferred the root which is /bin/sh with setuid and ran it
> > and he got root....
>
> Review that. _Carefully_. I think you are seriously WRONG there. That
> user did something sneaky, and you did not see it.

I STRONGLKY suggest "vince" repeat exactly what he's said here.
When he realizes it's "just not so", perhaps he'll rethink his NEXT
post.
	1) As root, create *any* suid file.  Heck, use this guy's "root"
	   file just in case you can't do it yourself.
	2)  As non-root, try to make a copy of that file...  use cp,
	    cat >, ftp it, up/download it via kermit, etc.
Let us know what you learn in the process!