Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 01:18:52 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        scott@gerhardt-it.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Install Questions

Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com> types:
> Thanks for the info Mike,
> I agree with your partitioning scheme.
> FYI: Here is the output from the Linux "free" command:
>
> [root@localhost /root]# free -m
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:           255        252          3          0        111
> 64
> -/+ buffers/cache:         76        178
> Swap:          517          0        517

pstat -s will give you the swap information. The muse port will give
you a more readable version of the memory information than vmstat. If
you're running X, I recommend gkrellm, also in the ports tree, which
gives you a quick visual of that information.

Anyway, given pstat and muse, a simple alias will do close to what you
describe:

guru$ alias free="muse -k | sed -e '/^$/d' -e 's/: */ /' -e 's/ kB//' | rs -T; pstat -s | sed /dev/d"
guru$ free
Active    Inactive  Wired     Reserved  Cache     Buffer    Total     Free
57748     46376     34872     1552      1012      35808     254556    114548
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
Total             1179392    21372  1158020     2%

Further tailoring of the output is left as an exercise for the
reader. A python script could even handle the -m (which I assume means
report in megabytes) and similar flags.

The ports tree is sort of like rpmfind.net, only it's on your
disk. Because the ports system allows the distribution of the build
instructions for applications as well as the index information, the
nearly 6000 ports can be distributed in about 91m. Look through the
docs on it on the FreeBSD web site; you'll be glad you did.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.