Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 22:43:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rudy Rucker <rudy@pollo.monkeybrains.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: audio troubles - Asus K7V motherboard

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> On 02-May-00 rudy-bulk@monkeybrains.net wrote:
> > ---- kernel configuration ------------------------------
> > device          pcm
> > device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
> > device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
>
> Take out the pcm0 line and run MAKEDEV snd0.

This works better... my dmesg now shows pcm0/snd0. However, there is still
no sound.  I know my speakers are plugged in and loud enough:  upon
booting my machine, the BIOS sends a loud BEEP to the speakers.  (also,
sound works when I boot into Microsoft.  The whole reason I want to get my
speakers working in FreeBSD is so I never have to boot Microsoft again!)

What are some methods of probing sound cards?  I've tries waveplay and
esdctl.  (For network stuff I use ping, traceroute, host, etc ... what
are the common sound card tools?)

  % esdctl allinfo
  unsupported sound format: 33
  Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
  Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
  unsupported playback rate: 44100
  Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
  Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
  unsupported sound format: 33
  Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
  Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
  server version = 0
  server format  = 0x00000020
  server rate    = 22050

Also, I can run the 'waveplay' without errors:
  % waveplay -f /dev/dsp0 Wooeep.wav
  File name     : Wooeep.wav
  Sampling rate : 11025 Hz
  Bits/Sample   : 16 Bits
  Channels      : 1
  Size          : 20978 Bytes
... but this makes no sound.

----- dmesg after conrad's advice -------------------------------
sbc0: <Soundblaster Pro> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on
isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 3.02> on sbc0

By the way, I cvsup'd the 4.0 tree today and made world and rebuilt my
kernel just to be safe.

Rudy